U.S. Delegation to the 2014 OSCE Human Dimension Implementation Meeting
The Honorable J. Brian Atwood will lead the U.S. delegation to the Human Dimension Implementation Meeting (HDIM) of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), to be held in Warsaw, Poland, September 22 through October 3. This annual meeting is an opportunity for civil society and the governments of the OSCE’s 57 participating States to collaborate to advance human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The U.S. delegation will engage with human rights defenders, representatives of civil society organizations, and international experts from across Europe and Eurasia who will participate in the meetings and other events highlighting human rights and democracy concerns.
The HDIM is the OSCE’s largest human rights event of the year. The crisis in Ukraine and other world events this year underscore that implementation of commitments in all three interdependent dimensions of security – human, politico-military, and economic and environmental – is essential to well-being, stability, and peace within and among states.
Professor Atwood is a former Administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and Assistant Secretary of State for Legislative Affairs. He also served as the first president of the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs. Professor Atwood is currently a Professor of Global Policy at the University of Minnesota’s Humphrey School of Public Affairs.
Key members of the U.S. delegation to the 2014 HDIM include:
- The Honorable J. Brian Atwood, University of Minnesota, Head of Delegation
- Ambassador Daniel Baer, U.S. Permanent Representative to the OSCE
- Ira Forman, Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism
- Thomas Melia, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
- Ambassador David Killion, Chief of Staff, Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (U.S. Helsinki Commission)
- Lynne A. Davidson, Senior Advisor to the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, U.S. Department of State
For more information about the HDIM: http://www.osce.org/odihr/hdim_2014
For more information about the U.S. Mission to the OSCE: http://osce.usmission.gov/