The Veterans Innovation Partnership Fellowship Program
On October 31, 2013, the U.S. Department of State launched the Veterans Innovation Partnership (VIP) fellowship program, a new public-private alliance platform aimed at serving America’s veterans and separating service members by preparing them for diplomacy and development careers.
About the Program
VIP will help build and deploy strategic partnerships between the U.S. government and U.S. private sector to mobilize resources and build networks to promote foreign affairs career opportunities for veterans. The Partnership will focus on the following elements of engagement to support veterans’ transition to diplomacy and development careers:
- Education: Assist with educational opportunities to study international relations;
- Fellowship: Establish fellowship opportunities at U.S government foreign affairs agencies;
- Employment: Facilitate international public and private employment opportunities.
VIP fellowships are only open to veterans who:
- Are enrolled in a Master’s degree program in the preferred fields of International Business, International Relations/ Affairs, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field (this includes MPA, MPH, MPP, MBA, and JD degrees)
- Completed a Master’s degree in the preferred or related fields listed above less than two years prior to applying for the fellowship (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree completion to apply)
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance
- Possess outstanding leadership and life experience, as well as excellent academic, cross-cultural and communication skills
- Have a cumulative GPA for the master’s degree of 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent
Veterans who are current federal employees may apply to VIP if eligibility requirements are met. Please note: the VIP Fellowship is a temporary position at the GS-9 level. It does not allow you to convert non-competitively back to a competitive service federal position.
Please visit www.vipfellowship.org for further eligibility details.
*All positions will be in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The expected duration of the fellowship will be one year. The VIP fellowship is not designed to lead to permanent federal employment and does not convey preference in seeking such employment. Nor does it convey the ability to convert non-competitively to a competitive service federal position.
For further information, please contact the Office of Global Partnerships at email@example.com or visit //2009-2017.state.gov/s/partnerships/vip/index.htm.