AG/RES. 2300 (XXXVII-O/07) Support for the Activities of the Inter-American Defense Board
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Report of the Chair of the Inter-American Defense Board to the General Assembly (CP/doc.4171/07 rev. 1);
RECALLING its resolution AG/RES. 1 (XXXII-E/06), "Statutes of the Inter-American Defense Board," adopted on March 15, 2006, which established the Inter-American Defense Board (IADB) as an "entity" of the Organization of American States (OAS) under Article 53 of the OAS Charter;
BEARING IN MIND that the IADB is not operational in nature and that, according to its Statutes, the purpose of the IADB is to provide the OAS and its member states with technical and educational advice and consultancy services on matters related to military and defense issues in the Hemisphere in order to contribute to the fulfillment of the OAS Charter;
WELCOMING the increased participation of member states and permanent observers of the OAS as members and permanent observers of the IADB;
WELCOMING ALSO the commitments of human and other resources made by member states of the IADB to fill the elected positions established in the Statutes;
NOTING WITH SATISFACTION the actions taken by the IADB since the adoption of resolution AG/RES. 1 (XXXII-E/06) to comply with the provisions of these Statutes;
RECOGNIZING the invaluable role performed by the IADB in fulfillment of the mandates contained in the resolutions of the General Assembly that contribute to the implementation of the Declaration on Security in the Americas, in particular those activities related to confidence- and security-building measures (CSBMs) and humanitarian demining;
UNDERSCORING the activities of the IADB in its first year as an OAS entity, detailed in the Annual Report of the IADB to the General Assembly; and
RECOGNIZING the importance of the advanced academic courses on matters related to military and defense issues offered by the Inter-American Defense College (IADC) to military officers and civilian officials from OAS member states,
1. To urge those member states of the Organization of American States (OAS) that are not yet members of the Inter-American Defense Board (IADB) to become members of it, in accordance with Article 4.1 of its Statutes.
2. To encourage member states to strengthen and support the IADB by providing military officers and civilian officials to accomplish its purpose and functions.
3. To encourage all OAS member states to promote participation in the advanced academic courses and seminars on matters related to military and defense issues offered by the Inter-American Defense College (IADC).
4. To instruct the IADB to coordinate with the General Secretariat, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security, activities related to the needs of the smaller states, which are more vulnerable to traditional threats and to new threats, concerns, and other challenges.
5. To encourage the IADB to foster and promote the participation of civil society in its meetings and activities, in accordance with its Statutes.
6. To request the IADB to promote, with other hemispheric organizations and forums of a similar nature, awareness of OAS declarations and resolutions concerning military and defense issues.
7. To call upon the member states, permanent observers, and other donors to support through voluntary contributions the activities undertaken by the IADB in carrying out its purpose.
8. To request the General Secretariat to continue providing support for the IADB within the resources allocated in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.