AG/RES. 1795 (XXXI-O/01): Preparations for the Summit-Mandated Special Conference on Security
(Resolution adopted at the third plenary session, held on June 5, 2001)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Annual Report of the Permanent Council (AG/doc.3970/01), in particular the section on the matters assigned to the Committee on Hemispheric Security;
That the Heads of State and Government, meeting at the Second Summit of the Americas, instructed the Committee on Hemispheric Security to "[a]nalyze the meaning, scope, and implications of international security concepts in the Hemisphere, with a view to developing the most appropriate common approaches by which to manage their various aspects, including disarmament and arms control" and to "[p]inpoint ways to revitalize and strengthen the institutions of the Inter-American System related to the various aspects of Hemispheric Security," with a view to holding a Special Conference on Security in the framework of the OAS; and
That at the Third Summit of the Americas, held in Quebec City in April 2001, the Heads of State and Government called for the holding of the said Special Conference on Security in 2004;
RECALLING ALSO its resolution AG/RES. 1643 (XXIX-O/99), "Work Program of the Committee on Hemispheric Security in Preparation for the Special Conference on Security," in particular the instruction to the Permanent Council set out in operative paragraph 7 to "further the preparations for the Special Conference on Security";
BEARING IN MIND that under Article 2 of the Charter of the Organization of American States, one of the essential purposes of the Organization is to strengthen the peace and security of the Hemisphere;
BEARING IN MIND also its resolutions on strengthening peace and security in the Hemisphere [AG/RES. 1121 (XXI-O/91) and AG/RES. 1123 (XXI-O/91)] and on confidence- and security-building measures [AG/RES. 1288 (XXIV-O/94), AG/RES. 1353 (XXV-O/95), AG/RES. 1409 (XXVI-O/96), AG/RES. 1494 (XXVII-O/97), AG/RES. 1566 (XXVIII-O/98), and AG/RES 1743 (XXX-O/00)];
REAFFIRMING that the programs, activities, and tasks set out in the above-mentioned resolutions are necessary for the furtherance of the essential purpose of the Organization enshrined in the Charter to strengthen peace and security in the Hemisphere, and that cooperation among member states is fundamental for the attainment of that goal; and
NOTING WITH SATISFACTION the special meetings of the Committee on Hemispheric Security held in April 1999, March 2000, and November 2000, with experts from member states as well as the written contributions to this process submitted by member states,
1. To advance in all aspects the work required for holding the Summit-mandated Special Conference on Security in 2004.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council to hold, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security, no fewer than five meetings over the next two years to prepare for the said Special Conference, with the first meeting to be held at OAS headquarters, from November 5 to 6, 2001.
3. To instruct the Permanent Council, to make recommendations, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security, to the said Special Conference on all relevant matters, including the objective, the draft agenda, draft rules of procedure, and draft final documents, and to decide on background documents to be made available in advance.
4. To invite member states that have not yet done so to respond, as soon as possible, to the Committee on Hemispheric Security's "Questionnaire on New Approaches to Hemispheric Security" (CP/CSH-338/00 rev. 5).
5. To request that the Permanent Council, through the Committee on Hemispheric Security, taking into account the responses received from member states to the above-mentioned questionnaire, prepare a study on the problems and risks to peace and security in the Hemisphere, as well as with conflict prevention and resolution.
6. To urge member states to continue to provide their opinions and views to the Committee on Hemispheric Security on the fulfillment of the security mandates of the Second and the Third Summit of the Americas, in accordance with resolutions AG/RES. 1566 (XXVIII-O/98), AG/RES. 1643 (XXIX-O/99), and AG/RES. 1743 (XXX-O/00).
7. To request member states to provide the Permanent Council with any information they deem relevant on the application of security-related subregional and bilateral agreements to which they are parties, thereby contributing to the process of studying hemispheric security, including its subregional aspects.
8. To instruct the Permanent Council to carry out the activities mentioned in this resolution, in keeping with resources allocated in the program-budget and other resources.
9. To request the Permanent Council to report on the implementation of this resolution to the General Assembly at its thirty-second regular session.