MOU Between the Government of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay and the Government of the United States of America To Promote Racial and Ethnic Equality and Social Inclusion (English)
The Government of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay and the Government of the United States of America (hereinafter referred to as the “Participants”),
Recognizing the democratic, multi-ethnic, and multi-racial nature of Uruguayan and U.S. societies, which strengthens the ties of friendship between both countries;
Recognizing further their governments' commitment to racial and ethnic equality and equal opportunity for all and the historic friendship between their nations;
Pledging their ever deepening and ongoing cooperation in eliminating racial and ethnic discrimination and promoting social inclusion and equality of opportunity for all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, and ability;
Aware of the importance of cooperating in promoting human rights and to maintain an environment of peace, democracy and prosperity in the Americas and throughout the world,
Have reached the following mutual understandings:
1. Objective: The objective of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is to provide a framework for the Participants to advance toward racial and ethnic equality, and promote social inclusion and equality of opportunity for all.
2. Scope of Cooperation: To achieve this objective, the Participants intend to collaborate to promote cooperation, understanding, and exchange of information (including best practices), and identify the following areas of cooperation as key to creating equal and prosperous societies:
- Increased access to education at the elementary, secondary, vocational, college, and graduate levels, recognizing how education can counter ethnic, racial, and gender discrimination, and improve opportunities for students with disabilities;
- Promotion of culture and communication, including cultural media, museums and exhibits, among others;
- Increased access to employment and entrepreneurship;
- Increased access to housing and public services;
- Equal protection under the law and access to the legal system;
- Improved enforcement of domestic anti-discrimination laws and policy;
- Increased access to sports and recreation;
- Increased access to healthcare, including promoting the study of disease prevalent in racial and ethnic minorities, and health disparities;
- Increased access to credit and opportunities for job training; and
- Any other areas of mutual interest to the Participants.
3. Forms of Cooperation: To achieve the objectives of this MOU and promote racial and ethnic equality and social inclusion, the Participants may incorporate issues of equality and anti-discrimination in the bilateral relationship and carry out cooperative activities, such as:
- Professional exchanges;
- Regional initiatives to promote equality of opportunity, through the strengthening of democratic institutions;
- Public-private partnerships with enterprises, sports associations, and non-governmental organizations;
- Holding workshops and seminars;
- Exchanges of technical experts;
- Promotion of educational opportunities, and
- Cooperation between institutions of higher education, regional and international organizations such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the Organization of American States (OAS), the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), and civil society.
4. General Provisions: The Participants may designate appropriate agencies or representatives to coordinate activities and discussions under this MOU.
Any cooperative activities under this MOU are subject to the availability of funds and personnel of each Participant, and are to be conducted in accordance with the laws and other regulations of each Participant.
Any dispute concerning this MOU should be resolved through direct consultations between the Participants.
This MOU may be revised at any time by mutual consent of the Participants by exchanging written notices through diplomatic channels.
This MOU is effective on the date it is signed, and has an indefinite duration. Each Participant declares its intention to notify the other at least 3 months in advance of discontinuing the MOU.
If either Participant discontinues the MOU it should continue any cooperation activities that may have been initiated before that date.
Signed in Washington, DC, this 14th day of May, 2014, in duplicate, in the Spanish and English languages.