AG/RES. 2621 (XLI-O/11) Hemispheric Plan of Action on Drugs 2011-2015
(Adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 7, 2011)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN resolution AG/RES. 2556 (XL-O/10), “Hemispheric Drug Strategy and Preparation of Its Plan of Action”;/
REITERATING the importance of having up-to-date strategies and mechanisms that facilitate hemispheric cooperation to address all aspects of the world drug problem;
That at its forty-seventh regular session, the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) began the process of drafting the Plan of Action of the Hemispheric Drug Strategy as a policy instrument that directs the collective effort to combat the world drug problem;
That the main purpose of the Plan of Action is to support the implementation of the Hemispheric Drug Strategy, based on its principles and contents; and
That the Plan of Action is a tool for the planning and management of the activities of CICAD and its subsidiary bodies;
CONSIDERING ALSO that the Government of Mexico coordinated the process whereby the High-Level Working Group agreed on a proposed Plan of Action; and
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT that during its forty-ninth regular session, CICAD approved the Hemispheric Plan of Action on Drugs, 2011-2015,
1. To endorse the Hemispheric Plan of Action on Drugs, 2011-2015 (CICAD/doc.1860/11 rev. 2 corr. 1), which is an integral part of this resolution, approved by the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) at its forty-ninth regular session, held in Paramaribo, Suriname, from May 4 to 6, 2011, and to urge the member states to implement that plan of action.
2. To thank and congratulate the Government of Mexico in its capacity as general coordinator of the Plan of Action’s drafting process, as well as the thematic coordinators and the participating experts, for their efforts.
3. To invite all member states to continue to contribute and participate in the implementation of the Plan of Action in the framework of CICAD.
4. To instruct the General Secretariat, through its pertinent organs and, in particular, the Executive Secretariat of CICAD, to provide support to the implementation of the Plan of Action when appropriate.
5. That execution of the activities envisaged in this resolution will be subject to the availability of financial resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.
. The Government of Nicaragua reiterates its commitment to continue combating drug trafficking and related offenses. To that end, it makes permanent efforts in the struggle against transnational organized crime. Although Nicaragua shares the lines of action set out in the document “2011-2015 Hemispheric Plan of Action on Drugs,” at time of the adoption of resolution AG/RES. 2556 (XL-O/10) “Hemispheric Drug Strategy and Preparation of Its Plan of Action,” Nicaragua stated in a footnote thereto that it did not agree with the imperative language used in the chapeaux at the beginning of each thematic area, considering that it contradicts the principle of respect for the sovereignty of states.