AG/RES. 2538 (XL-O/10) Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism of the Inter-American Drug Control Commission
(Adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 8, 2010)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the commencement of the Fifth Evaluation Round, 2007-2009 of the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM);
HAVING SEEN the “Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) Recommendations Analysis 2010: By Round, Thematic Area, and Subregion,” adopted by the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) at its forty-seventh regular session;
RECALLING the commitment of member states, through the Declaration of Commitment of the Summit of the Americas in Port of Spain, to continue strengthening the MEM to enable it to address the new challenges and needs of the countries of the Hemisphere, as well as to continue to implement the recommendations of the MEM; and
REAFFIRMING its commitment to the MEM as an objective instrument for measuring the progress made by member states in addressing the world drug problem, identifying vulnerabilities and areas for improvement, and strengthening hemispheric cooperation,
1. To note with satisfaction the adoption by the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) at its forty-seven regular session of the report “MEM Recommendations Analysis 2010: By Round, Thematic Area, and Subregion.”
2. To note also the work begun by the Governmental Expert Group (GEG) in preparation for the presentation of the national reports of the Fifth Evaluation Round.
3. To encourage the timely participation by member states in the MEM evaluation process, via their National Coordinating Entities (NCEs) and their governmental experts.
4. To recognize with satisfaction the progress made by the countries of the Hemisphere in implementing their MEM-assigned recommendations; and to encourage member states to implement pending recommendations.
5. To thank member states for hosting MEM-related meetings, activities, and national workshops as well as for providing financial and in-kind contributions to the MEM process.
6. To encourage countries to initiate, maintain, or increase their voluntary financial contributions to the MEM, in order to ensure its continuity and strengthen its impact.
7. To instruct CICAD to continue, via its Executive Secretariat, to:
a. Work with the member states to strengthen the MEM process, and
b. Provide technical assistance, training, and support to the member states in their efforts to:
- Coordinate information gathering for the MEM process;
- Increase awareness of the MEM among national authorities; and
- Implement the recommendations assigned through the MEM.
8. That the execution of the activities envisaged in this resolution shall be subject to the availability of financial resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.
9. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its forty-first regular session on the implementation of this resolution.