AG/RES. 2354 (XXXVIII-O/08) Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the 34 national reports of the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) covering the Fourth Evaluation Round 2005-2006, approved by the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) at its forty-second regular session, and the MEM Hemispheric Report covering the same evaluation period, approved by CICAD at its forty-third regular session; and
REAFFIRMING its commitment to the MEM as an objective instrument for measuring the progress made by member states in controlling the illicit drug problem, identifying vulnerabilities and areas for improvement, and strengthening hemispheric solidarity and cooperation,
1. To note with satisfaction the approval by the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) at its forty-second regular session of the 34 national reports and, at its forty-third regular session, of the Hemispheric Report of the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) covering the Fourth Evaluation Round 2005-2006; and to endorse those reports and their recommendations.
2. To thank the National Coordinating Entities (NCEs) and all national institutions providing information to the MEM process; and to urge them, in order to facilitate the work of the Governmental Expert Group (GEG), to provide the qualitative information needed during the phase of follow-up on recommendations of the Fourth Evaluation Round, complying with the MEM deadlines.
3. To recognize the work of the GEG in the MEM evaluation process; and to encourage it to continue this important evaluation process.
4. In accordance with the preparatory work done thus far, to convene the CICAD Intergovernmental Working Group (IWG) to meet in the second half of 2008 and in the first half of 2009 to review and strengthen the MEM before the Fifth Evaluation Round.
5. To recommend to member states that they promote the MEM as the Hemisphere’s only multilateral evaluation mechanism on the drug problem, and:
a. At the national level: that through their appropriate authorities, they disseminate the MEM national reports and the Hemispheric Report to their legislatures and government institutions, the media, and civil society; and
b. At the international level: that they work to ensure that the MEM information is considered in the regional evaluation conducted in the framework of the twentieth special session of the United Nations General Assembly (XX UNGASS).
6. Also to recommend to member states that they make every effort, to the extent of their capabilities, to implement the recommendations contained in the national reports of the MEM.
7. To instruct the Executive Secretariat of CICAD:
a. To work proactively with the member states to strengthen the work of the MEM;
b. To continue to provide technical assistance, training, and support to the member states in their efforts to implement the recommendations made to them through the MEM process; and
c. To disseminate widely the Hemisphere’s achievements and experiences over the 20 years since the entry into force of the United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, signed in Vienna in 1988, and the 10 years of the XX UNGASS process.
8. To request the General Secretariat to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth regular session on the implementation of this resolution, the execution of which shall be subject to the availability of financial resources in the program-budget of the Organization and other resources.