Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Tajikistan
U.S. Government (USG) assistance supports the development of Tajikistan’s health and education systems, agriculture sector, governance, and security so that it can be a stable, prosperous partner in the region.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Peace and Security (P&S)
- Improve border management by building the capabilities of the border guards
- Increase the capacity of Tajikistan’s security forces to detect and deter terrorism and encourage cooperation with U.S. armed forces
- Support Tajikistan’s demining efforts
- Increase drug interdiction, reduce drug demand, and combat other forms of transnational crime including trafficking in persons and financial crimes
Governing Justly and Democratically (GJD)
- Increase citizens’ access to balanced information
- Enhance local governments’ accountability, responsiveness, and effective service delivery by improving mechanisms for active citizen participation
- Support legal reform, increase the professionalism and performance of defense attorneys, and introduce legal professionals and civil society to alternative dispute resolution systems
Investing in People (IIP)
- Expand access to quality health care by improving financing and delivery
- Improve education by training teachers and introducing more efficient education finance mechanisms
- Decrease the rate of tuberculosis and combat the spread of HIV/AIDS
Economic Growth (EG)
- Improve production and processing in the agriculture sector to increase incomes of farmers and address food insecurity
- Create an institutional framework for the coordinated exchange of electric power, pricing of ancillary services, and allocation of transmission capacities
- Enhance fiscal management, fiscal decentralization, and regulatory oversight to help create a foundation for investments and the development of a competitive private sector
- Improve economic competitiveness and cross-border trade and transit
Humanitarian Assistance (HA)
- Improve living conditions of the most vulnerable populations by providing food, clothing, and medical care
- Improve residential schools and institutions through the repair of water, sewage and heating systems and providing small reconstruction project grants
- Provided border enforcement and nonproliferation training to Government officials, renovated the Tajik Customs Training Academy, and completed renovation of the Border Guard Academy.
- Trained 175 lawyers on the new Criminal Procedure Code.
- Helped vulnerable populations including the elderly, orphans and the disabled. USG resources leveraged significant contributions, valued at $42.29 million, from partner NGOs, distributing donated medicine, medical supplies, and non-medical assistance.
- Strengthened Water User Associations (WUAs) so that farmers are able to operate, manage, and make the investment decisions needed to maintain and improve their irrigation and drainage systems leading to higher yields.
- USG technical assistance and improved technologies benefited over 2,500 rural households and increased the production of onions, lemons, apricots, watermelons, and beef.
*This fact sheet does not reflect centrally managed or regional Foreign Operations funding that is not specifically budgeted for Tajikistan.