Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Georgia
AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Reform, train and equip the Georgian military to meet NATO standards and to support contributions to international peacekeeping and security operations
- Improve the capacity of the Georgian Border Police and Custom Service to fight smuggling, increase revenue and secure borders
- Increase the skills of Georgian law enforcement officials
- Improve executive, parliamentary and local government capacity, transparency, accountability and citizen outreach
- Strengthen judicial independence, legal profession reform, judicial and legal education, and the criminal procedure code
- Bolster political party competitiveness, and promote free and fair elections
- Strengthen civil society, civic education, and public policy discourse
- Support the development of independent media and increase access to objective information
- Increase access to affordable quality health and social services
- Support decentralization and accreditation of the education system
- Strengthen vocational education in the tourism and road construction sectors
- Promote regulatory reform to foster growth of small/medium-sized businesses
- Increase diversification of energy sources and export markets
- Restore investor confidence and rebuild infrastructure damaged in the August 2008 conflict with Russia
- Deliver donated pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and supplies valued at $25M to health care facilities in Georgia
- Helped increase foreign trade, raising GOG’s position on the World Bank’s trading across borders index from 149 in 2007 to 30 in 2010.
- Distributed $7.2M worth of humanitarian aid, medicine and supplies to schools and orphanages
- Increased parliamentary transparency and accountability by helping develop a parliamentary voting records database.
- Returned 8,400 acres of land to productive use following the August 2008 conflict, clearing away over 3,700 items of explosive ordnance.
*This fact sheet does not reflect Peace Corps funding or centrally managed or regional Foreign Operations funding that is not specifically budgeted for Georgia.