Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Albania
ASSISTANCE GOALS: United States Government (USG) assistance to Albania seeks to reinforce the country’s strong security partnership with the U.S. The USG provides the country with the necessary tools to strengthen democratic institutions, promote economic growth, and mitigate corruption.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Peace and Security (P&S)
- Building on Albania’s NATO membership, support its goal to complete its integration into Euro-Atlantic institutions
- Modernize Albania’s armed forces to become interoperable with NATO
- Improve the organization and professionalism of Albania’s law enforcement specifically in combating transnational crime and trafficking in persons
Governing Justly and Democratically (GJD)
- Strengthen policy reform, legislation and planning for local governance, public health care institutions, and community services.
- Enhance oversight and accountability of central and local government institutions.
- Improve the performance and transparency of the justice sector while building the skills of lawyers and prosecutors.
Investing in People (IIP)
- Promote high quality health care, including for the most vulnerable segments of the population
- Reform government health care to improve primary and reproductive health
Economic Growth (EG)
- Support practices that promote broad-based and sustainable economic growth
- Improve the competitiveness and productivity of Albania’s private sector
- Build Albania’s trade capacity and encourage foreign and domestic investment
- Improve infrastructure supporting businesses, particularly in the energy sector and in information and communications technology
- With USG assistance, the Albanian Government increased destruction of excess munitions in FY 2010 and established a goal to complete the process by 2013. In 2010, the Albanian Government destroyed 15,840 tons of ordnance.
- USG assistance to the Albanian Integrated Border Management system was instrumental in the EU granting visa liberalization to Albania.
- USG built accountability and transparency of Albanian courts through providing systems to publish court decisions, record hearings, and track cases.
- USG assistance established, trained, and equipped six Joint Investigative Units to help fight economic crimes and corruption.
- USG assisted the Government of Albania and local governments in implementing high impact reforms to reduce corruption and improve the business climate.
- USG assisted the passage of laws in FY 2010 to support witnesses and fight criminal organizations involved in trafficking and the creation of a specific unit to handle trafficking cases.
- USG provided expertise and training to Albania’s private sector, helping firms increase their market share in Albania and in the European Union.
- The USG helped Albania implement energy strategies to improve the availability, efficiency, and reliability of clean energy.
*This fact sheet does not reflect Peace Corps funding or centrally managed or regional Foreign Operations funding that is not specifically budgeted for Albania.