Office of Management Policy, Rightsizing, and Innovation
The Office of Management Policy, Rightsizing, and Innovation (M/PRI) is the Under Secretary for Management’s central management analysis organization. M/PRI is comprised of three staffs that handle management policy, rightsizing, and innovation. Julie Schechter-Torres is the Acting Director of the Office of Management Policy, Rightsizing and Innovation (M/PRI).
M/PRI’s Management Policy Staff provides analysis of cross-cutting issues for the Under Secretary for Management and other senior managers in the Department. Specifically, the Policy Staff
- Manages and coordinates press and public outreach in addition to Congressional outreach for the entire M-family of bureaus;
- Coordinates and oversees the Department’s initiatives within the President’s Management Agenda;
- Manages the Accountability Review Board (ARB) function for the Secretary of State;
- Acts as liaison with the Office of Inspector General(OIG) and the Government Accountability Office (GAO) for M-family recommendations and findings;
- Provides advice and recommendations for cross-cutting issues when impasse is reached;
- Sets the policy for the Department’s central system data warehouse; and,
- Serves as co-chair with the Office of Medical Services (MED) of the Avian Influenza Working Group to ensure that the Department is able to function in case of global pandemic.
M/PRI’s Rightsizing Staff is responsible for managing the rightsizing of USG personnel serving abroad while under Chief of Mission authority and National Security Decision Directive 38 (NSDD 38). Through analyses and interaction with the field, the Rightsizing staff
- Provides expertise to senior managers on policy matters related to chief of mission authority;
- Manages the NSDD-38 and country clearance processes;
- Conducts overseas staffing reviews of all missions on a rolling 5-year basis, as well as prior to planning any new capital construction projects abroad, in order to determine the minimum human resources required to meet foreign policy goals;
- Identifies potential efficiencies through outsourcing, empowerment of local staff, regionalization, consolidation and other rightsizing techniques;
- Works with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to provide advice and guidance regarding the President’s Management Agenda for Rightsizing the entire U.S. Government presence overseas;
- Serves as the principal State Department interlocutor with other agency headquarters on management issues overseas to facilitate interagency cooperation, eliminate duplicative activity, and optimize productivity; and,
- With USAID counterparts, manages the day-to-day activities of the Joint Management Board to ensure ongoing consolidation of overseas management platforms.
M/PRI’s Innovation Staff serves as the primary M representative to the Regional Initiatives Council (RIC) and leads standardization activities, especially those with an overseas focus. The Innovation Staff
- Provides expertise in performance measurement and Department-wide management best practices to improve efficiency and customer satisfaction; and,
- Is the business case manager for Post Administrative Software Suite (PASS) and serves as co-chair of the PASS steering committee;