Legal Considerations in the Foreign Service (MQ854)
The mobile foreign affairs lifestyle gives rise to unique legal implications for foreign affairs agency employees and their family members. This seminar includes a panel of experts provided by the American Foreign Service Protective Association to discuss contingency planning. Participants will learn steps in creating wills, trusts and powers of attorney; as well as identify legal responsibilities in owning real estate.
"I appreciate the content and the intention to educate us in these important areas."
"I learned about the different types of estate planning, documents and options, as well as the bare minimum legal documents that one should have and the difference between them."
Course Dates and Times
10 May 2017 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
This is a non-tuition workshop.
Virtual Resource Table
The following links and documents represent materials made available at the resource table during the class.
Department of State Resources
- Legal Considerations – Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs information on legal issues that often affect Americans traveling or living abroad.
- Overseas Briefing Center (OBC) [Intranet Link] – Resources to prepare U.S. government employees and their families for an overseas assignment.
- AFSA – American Foreign Service Association is the professional association and labor union of the United States Foreign Service. AFSA provides tax guidance for the Foreign Affairs community, it also provides numerous member services including but not limited to information on retirement services, detailed yearly tax guides, and access to numerous Foreign Service publications.
- WorkLife4You (WL4Y) (Formerly IQ: Information Quest) – The Department of State's resource and referral service for employees and their family members. Provides information and help on various topics including elderly care, settling into a new home, and finding an attorney.
- Supplemental Medical Insurance, Traveler Assistance Programs, and Evacuation Programs for U.S. Citizens Abroad [Intranet link]
- AFSPA – American Foreign Service Protective Association – Provides legal services and health insurance to Foreign Service Officers and their families.
- AAFSW – Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide is a non-profit organization that has been representing Foreign Service spouses, employees and retirees since 1960. Articles on financial security in the Foreign Service and medical insurance in the Foreign Service.
Wills and Power of Attorney
- Wills – USA.gov article on preparing wills
- Power of Attorney – Article that explains how to designate Powers of Attorney.
- Preparing A Will – American Bar Association publication on preparing a will.
- Worklife4you – Website where Department of State employees and family members get access to legal forms. Username and Password can be found by contacting OBC.
- Getting Your Affairs In Order [intranet link] – Transition Center publication on Will preparation, asset living, power of attorney and taxes.
- Will Preparation Checklist – Online sample of a will preparation checklist.
- Managing Rental Property – Transition Center course and resources on managing rental property while abroad.
- It's Your Move – Dept. of State Office of Logistics Management information on preparing for the move and managing property
- Overseas Briefing Center [intranet link] – OBC resources on logistics of preparing to go overseas
- Family Liaison Office (FLO) – FLO serves direct-hire U.S. government employees and their families in all aspects that relate to improving quality of life through providing a numerous amount of client services
- Divorce and The Foreign Service – Family Liaison Office (FLO) publication
- Divorce FAQ's in the Foreign Service
- Divorce Abroad – Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs divorce abroad information
- Separations in the Foreign Service/Travel of Children of Separated Families
- ARAWG – Americans Resident Abroad Working Group, Addresses issues of concern for Americans working abroad
- InterNations Expat Magazine – International Online Community for people who live and work abroad. Information includes but is not limited to: Preparing to Move Abroad, Financial Planning, and Family & Relationships.
- Nolo's Simple Will Book [Attorney Dennis Clifford, NOLO, 2007]
- Power of Attorney Simplified [Daniel Sitarz, Nova Publishing Company IL, 2010]