Personal Finances and Investments in the Foreign Service (MQ852)
A life in the Foreign Service offers some financial advantages and difficult challenges in today's world. This non-tuition course will address the unique personal financial situation that comes with a career in the Foreign Service.
You can watch the most recent MQ852 webinar series on YouTube at the links below:
Webinar Series- The April offering of MQ852 will take place as a webinar series.
Part 1 (Personal Finance) will cover avoiding the most common financial pitfalls in the foreign service, planning for a successful retirement, and investing in the TSP.
Part 2 (Financial Investment) will explain what works in modern investing, how to stay informed while overseas, how and when to use a good financial adviser, how to plan for children's education, and more.
Each session will be offered twice to accommodate different time zones.
You may sign up for either or both parts.
"This course helped me get a general handle on personal finance. It gave me confidence to know I can manage my finances okay and that I don't need to worry about missing out on some great deal/product/strategy whatever as long as I am prudent and invest appropriately conservative."
"This course went beyond BASIC investing. Very useful considering I do have experience in these matters."
"I learned that one must save at every step (preferably earlier than later) of their career to be able to have a retirement. Saving 10% minimum over a career and having it compounded in say a Roth Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) would be an excellent start."
Course Dates and Times
November 30, 2016: Personal Finance in the Foreign Service (Part 1)
Time: 8:00 am ET and again at 6:00 pm ET
December 1, 2016: Investment in the Foreign Service (Part 2)
Time:8:00 am ET and again at 6:00 pm ET
This is a non-tuition workshop.
Virtual Resource Table
The following links and documents represent materials made available at the resource table during the class.
Be informed about your money:
- Before Retirement Links and Resources
- After Retirement Links and Resources
- Retirement Services, Who Does What?
- RNet: The Retirement Network of the U.S. Department of State
- Social Security Administration
- Thrift Savings Plan
Foreign Service Support Organizations
- American Foreign Service Protective Association (AFSPA)
- American Foreign Service Association (AFSA)
- Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide (AAFSW)
- Livelines - AAFSW's Online Discussion Group for Questions and Tips on Life in the Foreign Service
- WorkLife4You (WL4Y) (formerly IQ: Information Quest) - resource and referral service for Department of State employees and family members
Financial Planning Associations/Organizations
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- To Avoid the Biggest Investing Mistake, Stay Strong [Carl Richards/New York Times - March 25, 2013]
- Financial Security and the Foreign Service Spouse [AAFSW - January 2007]
- "The Investment Answer" by Daniel Goldie and Gordon Murray
- "Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk" by Peter L. Bernstein