Enhanced Public Participation
The Department of State has enhanced public participation and has reduced errors by processing information electronically:
- Program Offices submit documents to send to OMB in electronic format, avoiding transcription errors.
- Burden data provided to DIR through the use of e-Form documents so this information can be directly sent to OMB. Forms provide automatic calculation fields to eliminate errors.
- E-Forms documents sent to DIR have exclusion parameters to avoid duplications (i.e. – some fields are locked out when other fields are filled in)
- Federal Register documents are provided in electronic format so direct submission to FR of these electronic documents eliminates transcription errors.
- Public comments are sent electronically to Program Office mailboxes avoiding “snail mail” losses.
Electronic documents provided for public comment requests eliminate errors that could be associated with verbal/phone responses.