Under Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights
The Under Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights, Sarah Sewall, leads State Department efforts to prevent and counter threats to civilian security, such as violent extremism, mass atrocities, and weak governance and the rule of law. The seven bureaus and offices reporting to the Under Secretary advance the security of the American people by assisting countries around the world to build more democratic, secure, stable, and just societies.
- Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations (CSO)
- Bureau of Counterterrorism and Countering Violent Extremism (CT/CVE)
- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL)
- Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL)
- Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM)
- Office of Global Criminal Justice (GCJ)
- Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (TIP).